Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Family Bonds

Dear Families,

On June 23, 2007 my dad, Darrell Adams a Grand Ronde member, died of cancer. One of the most important wishes he wanted for his children was for us to have our heritage. His three children have been denied enrollment because of the flawed enrollment policy. The emphasis for denying our enrollment seems to be put on how the enrollment will affect the multi-million-dollar budget. For our us, the emphasis is placed on our heritage. I visited my dad's grave the other day and by his headstone a hawk feather was placed in the soil. I don't know who placed it there (no one else seems to know where it came from either). However, I believe the feather was placed as a reminder to fight for what my dad wanted so much for his children, their heritage. My dad's spirit is all around us. We can feel it most when we breath in the fresh air and smell the timber that he loved so much. My dad had pride in being a member of the Grand Ronde Tribe and he wanted us to feel the same pride. So for us, the children of a Grand Ronde member, it isn't about money. It is about our heritage and the bond we share so strongly with our dad.

Teri Adams-Wassmuth

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sorry for your loss and so sorry that your father did not live to see this enrollment election to it's end. We can only hope that your dad can watch from the spirit world as his children dance members next August!